The Deductive Tasting Method Workshop
The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas first presents the Deductive Tasting Method at the Introductory Course, where students build confidence by speaking in front of their peers. At the Deductive Tasting Method Workshop, students hone their analytical blind tasting skills through a series of small group tastings and lectures. Learning to extract a logical conclusion from evidence in the glass is a key skill necessary for success at the Certified Sommelier Examination and beyond.
This intensive one-day workshop offers the opportunity to taste 22 examples of classic wines from around the world. The workshop will focus on the "cause and effect" analysis of each wine, which will help students understand why classic wines taste the way they do.
Themed flights of wine have been put together to help calibrate the student's palate to varying levels of alcohol, acidity, oak, and tannin, as well as define regional and varietal markets.
2020 Deductive Tasting Method Workshop $499
About the Deductive Tasting Method Workshop
During this workshop, expect to:
- Reinforce the importance of the Deductive Tasting Method using grape varieties from the Certified Sommelier Examination.
- Gain confidence using the Deductive Tasting Method by understanding the importance of cause and effect.
- Increase understanding of the link between theory and tasting.
- Experience several different perspectives by engaging multiple Master Sommeliers in a small group setting.
- Engage with other like-minded students studying for the Certified Sommelier Examination.
- Calibrate and improve tasting technique, experience, and vocabulary.
Who May Attend?
This new Deductive Tasting Method Workshop is geared toward students preparing for the Certified Sommelier Examination. The workshop is elective, not a mandatory program.
Students applying for this workshop must have taken the Court of Master Sommeliers?Introductory Course.
Candidate must be prepared to attend from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm; there is a midday no-host lunch break.
SommFoundation offers scholarship opportunities to those working toward success with the Court of Master Sommeliers. They offer scholarships for the Introductory, Advanced, and Masters. They also provide the top scorer at the Certified Examination with a scholarship. Currently, they do not provide scholarships for the Deductive Tasting Workshop. Please visit their website at www.sommfoundation.com/scholarships for more information.