Tasting with Master Sommeliers
This series will provide online, interactive instruction in the Deductive Tasting Method? to candidates preparing for the Advanced Sommelier Examination and Master Sommelier Diploma Examination.
Twenty-two Master Sommeliers from all over North America will provide candidates with valuable instruction during a 10-week period.
Attendees have the option to join the live session, during which they may ask questions, or purchase the recorded version afterward and watch it at your convenience. Students who watch the session live will also have access to the recorded on-demand version to re-watch at anytime.
Individual session: $49
Complete Series (10 sessions): $399, includes 18% savings
Each session will include a virtual guided tasting. Students are welcome to purchase wine on their own, but it is not required. A recommended list of wine will be provided in advance.
Who should attend this series:
Advanced Sommelier Exam and Master Sommelier Diploma Exam candidates. Others are welcome to join, but please note that the discussion topics will be geared toward Advanced level and higher.
How do I attend?
The choice is yours!? Attend a live session during which you can ask the Master Sommeliers questions and engage with other participants or watch the recorded version at your convenience. Once purchased, you will have access to the recording at any time.
Live sessions will be held on Tuesdays for 10 weeks. Please see?Online Learning schedule?for exact dates and times.
Description & Details
There are 10 sessions in the Tasting with Master Sommeliers Series
Each session will be hosted by Education Director Melissa Monosoff MS and Examination Director Shayn Bjornholm MS, along with two guest Master Sommeliers each week.
Please see?Online Learning schedule?for exact dates and times.
- Session 1: Tasting with Tim Gaiser MS and Mia Van de Water MS
- Session 2: Tasting with June Rodil MS and Brahm Callahan MS
- Session 3: Tasting with?Christopher Bates MS and Max Kast MS
- Session 4: Tasting with?Madeline Triffon MS and Thomas Price MS
- Session 5: Tasting with?Evan Goldstein MS and Rebecca Fineman MS
- Session 6: Tasting with?Virginia Philip MS and Mariya Kovacheva MS
- Session 7: Tasting with?Matt Citriglia MS and Jennifer Huether MS
- Session 8: Tasting with?Laura Williamson MS and Wayne Belding MS
- Session 9: Tasting with?Keith Goldston MS and Patrick Okubo MS
- Session 10: Tasting with Andy McNamara MS and Jay Fletcher MS
Each 75 minute session will provide:
Specific tasting guidance:
- There will be a guided, non-blind tasting of a comparative set of two or three specific wines to analyze areas that are often challenging, such as grape variety recognition, winemaking techniques, and structural elements.
Deductive Tasting Method process guidance:
- The Master Sommeliers will address issues of process, grid work, and timing.
- They will discuss how students can use the Deductive Tasting Method to their advantage.
- Each Master Sommelier has a unique story and specific techniques that he or she used to overcome stress and anxiety, as well as personal ways to prepare and be empowered on exam day. This mindset extends beyond the Tasting Examination and can be equally useful to those studying for the Theory and Practical Examinations.
Details about the guided wine tastings:?
- The names of the producers and bottlings that will be tasted in each session will be provided in advance. Students who choose to purchase wines for the sessions are not required to have the exact wines listed, close representations are fine.
- The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas Deductive Tasting Method?will be used as a framework for evaluation.